Imagining Cities Built for People
The car-lite city of the future makes space for human needs and experiences that will improve our urban lives.
In order to make our urban environments more liveable and sustainable, many modern cities are moving away from developments centred on car culture. Rather than allowing vehicular infrastructure to dictate the shape of our cities, more emphasis is being placed on providing adequate space for pedestrians, cyclists, public transportation and mobility alternatives that can be used alongside cars.
Limiting the amount of space available for vehicular traffic also creates opportunities for other forms of public land uses, such as shared amenities and open parks, while preserving smaller urban footprints that create more character for our streets.
As urban development around cars becomes less important, the attention can be shifted to other aspects of the city that will prioritise our human experiences.
MORE COHERENT CONNECTIVITY
With less reliance on motor vehicles, the city can focus on other modes of transportation that will make places more accessible to everyone. More destinations can be made to be within easy reach with coherent overall interconnectivity between public transport, walking, cycling and other lighter modes of personal mobility.
This shift not only makes the city more inclusive, but also encourages people to use alternative modes of transportation for personal trips, thereby further reducing our reliance on cars.
MORE SPACE FOR REWILDING
“Rewilding” is a progressive approach to restoring our landscapes by working elements of nature back into land and sea. In urban design, it is part of an emerging biophilic urbanism that promotes human and nature connectedness in urban spaces to boost the quality of urban life. A car-lite city would make more room for rewilding our urban spaces.
For a land-scarce city like Singapore that lacks large land parcels for rural rewilding, working nature back into the landscape would involve the creative incorporation of natural elements into the places that we build. This means that nature is reintroduced on buildings and into pockets of spaces between developments. In turn, natural elements and greenery help to soften the imposing stature of buildings from the street level.
If nature is given the time to do its magical work, it’s incredibly inspiring to imagine a densely populated urban city capable of wild and restorative nature.
MORE OPPORTUNITIES FOR HUMAN EXPERIENCES
Principles of a car-lite city are intricately interwoven with human-centred architecture, which puts humans at the centre of the design process and optimises positive interactions between people and the urban environment. The idea is to create user-friendly spaces that also enhance social interactions between humans. This is achieved by identifying basic behaviours and needs to understand how people use spaces.
Through this lens, tools for navigating urban life, such as cars and technology, are then seen as enablers of quality urban life, rather than drivers of urban development.
THE LIVEABLE FUTURE CITY
Envisioned as a liveable and sustainable City of the Future, these are the ways in which Guoco Midtown embodies principles of car-lite, city-in-nature, and human-centred design.
Live and Work Connectivity
Within Guoco Midtown, people will get to live where they work. Midtown Modern provides garden home sanctuaries that are just a short walk from Guoco Midtown’s integrated offices and retail components. And it will all take place in this epicentre in the heart of the city that will connect neighbouring communities through a series of access networks.
Collectively spanning 3.8 hectares (on a 3.2 hectare of prime land), Guoco Midtown Gardens is a collection of thirty thematic gardens and landscaped spaces that can be enjoyed throughout development. A third of these gardens will be open to the public, allowing for opportunities for community interactions.
From Midtown Market to the Forest Giants Walk and Eucalyptus Plaza, these are among the abundant pockets of public spaces and internal streets in Guoco Midtown that are designed for people. Eucalyptus Plaza, in particular, is a rest spot for pedestrians and cyclists. On weekends, the lushly landscaped Midtown Market will also transform outdoor dining and hangout areas into a bustling market and cultural event space to bring the community together.
Seamless Transportation Node
Residents and occupants of Guoco Midtown will benefit from overall integrated connectivity that is supported by an MRT interchange and sheltered walkability. Nestled in the City Hall micromarket, Guoco Midtown also connects to key developments in the City Hall, Bugis and Marina Centre districts through an underground, ground level and elevated pedestrian network.
Opportunities for organic encounters and infrastructure for a thriving community — mixed-use developments will define the way we live, work and interact with one another in the city.
Samuel Isaac Chua is the Photo Editor at The Edge/Edgeprop. In this interview, he shares how he represents space through the medium of photography and how good design evokes emotions.
THE GUOCOLAND LIMITED POLICY ON PERSONAL DATA
1. The Singapore Personal Data Protection Act 2012 (Cap. 26) governs the collection, use and disclosure of Personal Data. This Policy on Personal Data (“Policy”) is being provided to existing and prospective individuals and entities (“Relevant Persons”) dealing with GuocoLand Limited and its related companies, which include, its listed holding company, its subsidiaries, and Special Purpose Vehicle development companies (collectively, the “Companies”, and each, a "Company"), as well as their respective representatives or agents (collectively, referred to herein as "GLL")) from whom Personal Data have been and/or may in the future be collected.
2. Relevant Persons have in the past and may or will in the future be required to provide Personal Data to GLL in connection with and/or in the course of their dealings with GLL. Personal Data on the Relevant Persons may also be acquired by GLL from publicly available sources and from within GLL.
3. In this Policy, “Personal Data” refers to any data, whether true or not, about individuals who can be identified (a) from that data; or (b) from that data and other information which GLL may have access to, including data in GLL’s records as may be updated from time to time.
4. Examples of such Personal Data which may be collected from Relevant Persons include his/her name, NRIC, passport or other identification number, telephone number(s), mailing address, email address, employer’s details, financial position, family members and any other information relating to the Relevant Persons which may have been provided to or collected by GLL via any forms the Relevant Persons may have submitted to GLL, or via other forms of interaction with the Relevant Persons.
5. By interacting with, submitting information to, or signing up for any products or services offered by the Companies, you, as a Relevant Person, agree and consent to GLL collecting, using, disclosing and sharing amongst themselves your Personal Data, and disclosing such Personal Data to GLL’s authorised service providers and relevant third parties in the manner set forth in this Policy.
PURPOSES FOR THE COLLECTION, USE AND DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL DATA
6. A Relevant Person’s Personal Data may be collected, used or disclosed by GLL for the following purposes:
a. Carrying out its instructions, providing services (whether by any of the Companies or a selected third party) and responding to enquiries and/or complaints by that Relevant Person or made on its behalf;
b. Managing the administrative and business operations of the Companies and complying with internal policies and procedures;
c. Facilitating business asset transactions (which may extend to any mergers, acquisitions or asset sales) involving any of GLL;
d. Monitoring or recording the phone call for quality assurance, training and security purposes;
e. Matching any Personal Data held which relates to Relevant Persons for any of the purposes listed herein;
f. Researching, designing, launching, promoting and marketing financial and other facilities, services and products of the Companies and third parties (including but not limited to the exchange of non-financial information with selected business partners and developing marketing lists for exchange with selected business partners) and monitoring the provision, operation and use of such services or products;
g. Provision of reference (status enquiries);
h. Carrying out credit and other status checks and debt collection and assisting other institutions to do so;
i. Assessing ongoing credit-worthiness of Relevant Persons;
j. Operating internal controls including determining amounts owed to or by Relevant Persons, payment to or collection of such amounts from Relevant Persons and from any persons providing security for Relevant Persons' obligations and enforcing any charge or other security granted by or for Relevant Persons;
k. Performing treasury functions;
l. The enforcement of Relevant Persons' obligations, including without limitation the collection of amounts outstanding from Relevant Persons and those providing security for Relevant Persons' obligations;
m. Assessing and analysing any insurance claim and assisting other insurance companies to conduct claims checks;
n. Organising promotional events;
o. The enforcement of Relevant Persons' obligations, including without limitation the collection of amounts outstanding from Relevant Persons and those providing security for Relevant Persons' obligations;
p. Providing media announcements and responses;
q. Preventing, detecting and investigating crime, including fraud and money-laundering, and analyzing and managing commercial risks;
r. meeting any legal, governmental or regulatory requirements in Singapore or any other applicable jurisdiction, including disclosure or notification requirements;
s. Assisting any person who is acquiring or participating in any contractual arrangements between GLL and the Relevant Person to evaluate the transaction for such acquisition or participation;
t. Human resource applications;and any other incidental and associated purposes relating to any of the above
7. In addition, where permitted under the Act, GLL may also collect, use and disclose a Relevant Person's Personal Data as follows:
a. Providing services, products and benefits, including promotions, loyalty and reward programmes;
b. Matching Personal Data with other data collected for other purposes and from other sources (including third parties) in connection with the provision or offering of products and services, whether by GLL or other third parties;
c. Administering contests and competitions;
d. Sending details of products, services, special offers and rewards, either to the Companies' customers generally, or which GLL has identified may be of interest to specific Relevant Persons; and
e. Conducting market research, understanding and determining customer location, preferences and demographics for GLL to review, develop and improve products and services, and also develop special offers and marketing programmes.
8. GLL may retain Personal Data for so long as the Personal Data is necessary for the purposes in that the Personal Data was collected. GLL will take reasonable steps to destroy any Personal Data that is no longer necessary for the aforementioned purposes.
9. If you have provided your Singapore telephone number(s) and have indicated that you consents to receiving marketing or promotional information via your Singapore telephone number(s), then from time to time, GLL may contact you using such Singapore telephone number(s) (including via voice calls, text, fax or other means) with information about products and services (including discounts and special offers) offered by the Companies.
10. In relation to particular products or services or in interactions with us, GLL may also have specifically notified you of other purposes for which GLL collects, uses or discloses Personal Data. If so, GLL may collect, use and disclose such Personal Data for these additional purposes as well.
DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL DATA
11. GLL will take reasonable steps to protect Personal Data against unauthorised disclosure. Subject to the provisions of any applicable law, Personal Data of Relevant Persons may be disclosed for the purposes above (where applicable) to the following:
a. Any person under a duty of confidentiality to GLL or to any member of the Companies;
b. Any company or division within the Companies (whether such company or division operates in Singapore or elsewhere);
c. Any relevant agent, contractor or third party service provider who provides administrative, telecommunications, computer, payment, securities clearing, management, audit, insurance, professional or other services to GLL;
d. Any banking, financial or other institution with which the Relevant Person has or proposes to have dealings;
e. Any credit reference agency and in default debt collection agencies or similar provider of debt collection or credit information services to the Companies;
f. Lawyers, auditors, tax advisors, investment banks, and other professional advisors;
g. Any insurance company and any association or federation of insurance companies (whether or not based in Singapore);
h. Any person or corporation to whom any one of the Companies transfers or proposes to transfer its interests and/or obligations in respect of that Relevant Person or any product or service provided to that Relevant Person;
i. Any nominee, trustee, co-trustee, centralised securities depository or registrar, custodian, insurance company, estate agent, solicitor or other person who is involved with the provision of services or products by GLL to that Relevant Person; or
j. Any person by whom any one of the Companies is required by applicable legal, governmental or regulatory requirements to make disclosure;
k. Any other party to whom Relevant Persons have authorised GLL to disclose their personal data to;or to any other person reasonably requiring the same in order for GLL to carry out the purposes permitted in paragraphs 6 to 10 above.
12. GLL may disclose Personal Data to any or all of the parties stated above and may do so notwithstanding the recipient's place of business is outside Singapore, or that such information following disclosure will be collected, held, processed or used by such recipient in whole or in part outside Singapore.
ACCESS AND CORRECTION
13. A Relevant Person is entitled to ask whether any Company holds Personal Data about them and to request access to and the correction of any such Personal Data held. A reasonable fee may be charged for processing each data access request.
14. Requests for access to or correction of data held by any Company should be addressed to The Data Protection Officer, at email@example.com.
15. To help GLL to provide a better service to you, please ensure that your contact details including your home and office addresses, your telephone numbers (including your mobile telephone number), e-mail address and other details registered with us are up to date.
WITHDRAWAL OF CONSENT
16. If you, as a Relevant Person, have any questions or feedback relating to your Personal Data or our Policy; or would like to withdraw your consent to any use of your Personal Data as set out in this Policy, please contact the Companies by addressing such requests to The Data Protection Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org. No fee will be charged for such withdrawal requests.
OPERATION OF THIS POLICY
17. This Policy supplements but does not supersede nor replace any other consent provided by the Relevant Persons to GLL in respect of their data, and their consents herein are additional to any rights which GLL may have at law to collect, use or disclose such data.
18. The provisions of this Policy will form part of the terms and conditions and/or the agreement or arrangements that you have or may enter into with GLL. If any inconsistency is found, the provision of this Policy shall prevail.
19. The Companies may from time to time update this Policy to ensure that it is consistent with its future developments, industry trends and/or any changes in legal or regulatory requirements. Subject to the your rights at law, you as a Relevant Person, agree to be bound by the prevailing terms of the Policy as updated from time to time. Please check back regularly for updated information on the handling of your Personal Data.
OPERATION OF THIS POLICY
20. This Policy shall be governed in all respects by the laws of Singapore.
21. If you have any feedback or enquiries relating to your Personal Data, or if you would like to manage marketing messages that you may receive from us, please contact us at email@example.com
Terms & Conditions
IMPORTANT NOTICE: By using or accessing this site you agree to be bound by the following terms and conditions which may be changed, updated or amended from time to time.
GUOCOLAND LIMITED (“GLL”) TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE OF THIS WEBSITE [www.guocoland.com.sg] (the “Site”)
GLL, its related companies, affiliates, contractors and/or participating corporations are the owners of the trade and service marks appearing on this Site and all rights are reserved in respect of such trade and service marks.
2. USE OF INFORMATION AND MATERIALS
The information and materials contained in this Site and the terms, conditions, and descriptions that appear, are subject to change. Your eligibility for particular products and services is subject to GLL’s final determination and acceptance.
3. INFORMATION ON DEVELOPMENT
The show flat visuals featured in this Site are not intended to represent any actual unit of the development sold by GLL, which is or will be constructed in accordance with the provisions and specifications of the prescribed sale and purchase agreement. The information and plans contained in this Site are also subject to changes and deviations as may be required by GLL or required or approved by the authorities. All art renderings, illustrations, pictures, photographs and other graphic representations and references on the web pages at this Site may be artists' impressions only. Nothing herein shall form part of an offer or contract or be construed as any representation by GLL or its agent. All areas and measurements stated herein are approximate and subject to adjustment on final survey.
4. THIRD PARTY SERVICES AND HYPERLINKS
This website may contain links to other websites which are not under the control of and are not maintained by GLL and the contents, accuracy, opinions expressed and other links provided by these websites are not investigated, verified, monitored or endorsed by GLL. This Site is independent of such other web site(s). GLL has no control over such other web site(s) and cannot be responsible for the content of such site(s). Such links are provided only as a convenience, and you are put on notice that any access by you of such linked websites is at your own risk.
4A. THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE /PLUG-INS
To access this Site, you may have to install into your computer system certain third party software or plug-ins (e.g. flash player), which may be licensed or provided to you by a third party, and not GLL. As the third party software or plug-ins are not developed or tested by GLL, GLL makes no warranty of merchantability, satisfactory quality or fitness for any particular purpose with respect to the third party software or plug-ins and its source of origin, or that they are free of defects, computer viruses, worms, malware, adware and/or spyware.
If the information on this Site is translated into or presented in languages other than English, the English version of that information will prevail in relation to any disputes regarding its interpretation.
6. NO WARRANTY
The information and materials contained in this Site, including text, graphics, links or other items, are provided "as is," "as available". GLL does not warrant the accuracy, adequacy or completeness of the information and materials and expressly disclaims liability for errors or omissions therein. GLL disclaims all warranties of any kind, whether implied, express or statutory, including but not limited to the warranties of non-infringement of third party rights, title, merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and freedom from computer virus, in conjunction with the information and materials in this Site. All renderings, illustrations, pictures, photographs and other graphic representations and references are artist’s impression only and may be subject to changes and deviation as further required by the developer or required or approved by the authorities. Nothing herein shall form part of an offer or contract or be construed as any representation by the developer or its agents. All plans are not drawn to scale; areas and measurements stated herein are approximate and are subject to adjustment on final survey.
7. PRIVACY STATEMENT
GLL has taken reasonable steps to ensure that the information you provide will be kept secure from unauthorised access. However as the Internet is not a secure environment. GLL cannot guarantee that such information will be secure during transmission to its web server.
8. EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY
In no event will GLL be liable for any damages, including without limitation direct or indirect, special, incidental, or consequential damages, losses or expenses arising in connection with this Site or the use thereof or inability to use by any party, or reliance on the contents of this Site, or in connection with any failure of performance, error, omission, interruption, defect, delay or failure in operation or transmission, computer virus or line or system failure, even if GLL, its representatives, are advised of the possibility of such damages, losses or expense. This Condition shall take effect to the fullest extent permitted by law.
You hereby agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless GLL, its related corporations, affiliates, officers, directors, employees, agents, contractors and/or participating corporations from all liability, loss, damages, cost and other expenses of any nature whatsoever incurred by GLL resulting from any claim or action of third parties relating to or arising under these Terms and Conditions of Use. Such claims shall include, without limitation, those based upon trademark or service mark infringement, tradename infringement, dilution, tortious interference with contract or prospective business advantage, conspiracy, breach of warranty of authority, passing off, defamation or injury to business reputation and copyright infringement.
All information submitted to GLL via this Site shall be deemed and remain the property of GLL who shall be free to use, for any purpose, any ideas, concepts, know-how or techniques contained in information a visitor to this Site provides GLL through this Site. GLL shall not be subject to any obligations of confidentiality or privacy regarding submitted information, except as agreed directly in writing by GLL or required by law.
11. GOVERNING LAW & JURISDICTION
These Terms and Conditions of Use shall be governed by Singapore law and you agree to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Singapore courts, provided that such exclusivity does not apply to legal action initiated or brought about by GLL.
COPYRIGHT © GUOCOLAND LIMITED. ("GLL") ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Copyright in the contents of these pages in the information therein and in their arrangement, is owned by GLL unless otherwise indicated and all rights thereto are specifically reserved. No hyperlinking of this website to any other website or reproduction of any information on this website on any other website or the use of any information therein for any public or commercial purpose is permitted without the prior written consent of GLL, which consent may be granted or refused at its sole discretion and may be subject to terms and conditions imposed by GLL.